At Cube Dev, we are building a technology stack for modern analytics and our mission is to make it accessible to developers around the world.
We are focused on bottom-up adoption, and most of our software is open-source. Cube, our flagship open-source product, has over 10,000 stars on GitHub and over 3,000 community members in Slack. It powers companies ranging from Apple, Intel, and Walmart to small Silicon Valley startups.
We are a 15-person remote-first team distributed over the US, UK, and Eastern Europe with an HQ in San Francisco, funded by top-tier Silicon Valley venture funds that have previously invested in Redis, Hazelcast, Gradle, and other infrastructure software startups.
Cube is used to build analytical APIs over trillion data point datasets in SQL databases (e.g., Postgres, ClickHouse) and data warehouses (e.g., Google BigQuery, AWS Athena, Snowflake). Such APIs serve requests with sub-second latency and high concurrency.
We're determined to further enhance Cube's performance, support more data sources, evolve data modeling capabilities, and improve developer experience to make Cube.js the ultimate open-source analytical tool of choice for all developers.
That's why we're looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join the Cube team. You will contribute to Cube and maintain its codebase on GitHub, participate in community support in Slack, serve as an entry point for the team, and work with our CTO to drive architectural and product decisions.
During the first months, you'll be working on fine-tuning Cube's performance, partial codebase migration to Rust, and supporting more databases.
Pavel Tiunov, CTO: link.
Why we are recommending
- Most of the Cube.js software is open-source.
- Ability to work remotely or relocate to the USA.
Some of the things you’ll be working on:
- SQL generation and rewriting. Cube.js is a simple yet powerful way to organize SQL queries. The Cube.js way is to generate the best possible SQL query for a given database while abstracting all complex stuff from users and giving them full power of SQL at the same time. To solve this problem, Cube.js parses SQL queries written by users to understand the structure and rewrites them to apply performance optimizations.
- Rollup DB. Cube.js is used to serve analytics for trillions of data points with sub-second response times. To keep up-to-date with growing big data demands and serving speeds we’re developing our own database optimized for serving huge aggregated tables with latencies of several milliseconds.
- Cube.js APM. One of the main tech problems for Cube Cloud is to provide APM analytics of Cube.js instances using Cube.js itself. Being purely a dog food problem, large-scale real-time analytics has a lot of challenges, most of which will be solved for the first time ever using the SQL approach.
- Expert in data structures and algorithms.
- Solid understanding of how databases work.
- Strong coding skills.
- Experience working with the product team.
- Experience in building and managing high-load cloud infrastructure applications.
- Good communication skills.
- Fluent English.
- Previous startup experience or interest in working in a fast-moving company.
As a plus:
- Experience with contributing to or the maintenance of an open-source project.
- Experience in data engineering, building analytics applications, or OLAP.
- Experience with Docker and k8s, AWS, GCP.
- C++, Rust, or any other low-level language experience.
- Understanding of how V8 works.
- This is a remote position. Any location is ok, as long as we can expect that person to be online till 1 pm PT.
- They can pay for your desk at the co-working space you to choose to work from.
- Down the road, the company offers an optional relocation to HQ in San-Francisco, California with visa (H1-B or O-1) sponsorship.
- A stock options in US company.
- HR interview.
- Try 3-4 tournaments on codesignal.com and send the result.
- Technical interview with CTO.
- Test task/introduction to the product (create a dashboard using Cube.js).
- Final interview, discussion of the product, used technologies and conditions.
Company's GitHub account: link.